Laboratory Technician I
Performs routine semen banking procedures by performing the following duties.
- Performs semen analysis, intrauterine (IUI) and intracervical (ICI) insemination semen preparation, post-thaw analysis and leucoscreen testing.
- Prepares blood and urine specimens for transport to the reference laboratory.
- Performs routine cryogenic procedures including tank checks, vial transfers, quality control checks (verifying vial labels and number/type of vials), preparing dry shippers, and processing client vial pick-up and returns.
- Conducts and accurately records all required quality control checks; takes corrective action as needed.
- Communicates any errors, accidents or incidents to the Branch/Laboratory Manager or Laboratory Supervisor.
- Performs routine cleaning of laboratory equipment.
- Complies with all regulatory, quality assurance, quality control, standard operating, and safety procedures.
- Participates in proficiency and competency assessments.
- Participates in the review of standard operating procedures.
- Prepares media and performs parallel testing as required.
- Assists with lab supply maintenance.
- Performs opening and closing duties.
- Provides back-up coverage for donor desk as needed.
- May perform phlebotomy.
- Other duties and projects as required.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals and to compute rate, ratio and percent.
- Ability to carry out instructions furnished in written or oral form and deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Knowledge of MS Word and Excel
- Phlebotomy certificate desirable but not required
Education and/or Experience
- High School Diploma minimum, Bachelor's degree in Science preferred, and one to two years related experience and/or training
- Ability to speak and write English; communicate effectively and professionally with clients and external contacts; read and interpret documents, such as procedure manuals; effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to clients and employees.
Other Skills and Abilities
- Phase-contrast microscopy skills; excellent customer service skills; strong attention to details; ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously; high level of interpersonal skills to interact with peers and management; excellent organizational skills; ability to maintain confidentiality; and ability to travel.
- Familiarity with laboratory and medical terminology; training in the handling of liquid nitrogen desirable
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and stoop, kneel, or crouch. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision and depth perception.
CooperSurgical is an equal employment opportunity employer and strong advocate of workforce diversity. Minority/Female/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Disability/Veteran
To all agencies: Please, no phone calls or emails to any employee of CooperSurgical about this opening. All resumes submitted by search firms/employment agencies to any employee at CooperSurgical via-email, the internet or in any form and/or method will be deemed the sole property of CooperSurgical, unless such search firms/employment agencies were engaged by CooperSurgical for this position and a valid agreement with CooperSurgical is in place. In the event a candidate who was submitted outside of the CooperSurgical agency engagement process is hired, no fee or payment of any kind will be paid.