The Head Sommelier is responsible for the Hotel’s wine stock and the supervision of the day-to-day operation of all outlets. He maintains C Resorts standards at all times. He furthermore ensures that the wine list is internationally recognised, by providing a constant variety of all styles and prices of wines. The service offered and executed is highly professional and personalized.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Responsibilities and duties for this position shall include, but not be limited to, the following areas and activities. The holder of this position may, at any time, be called to perform any other cognate duties at the request of management.
- To anticipate the volume of business, taking into consideration the peak/low seasons, holidays and general activities in the Resort.
- To inspect all outlet equipment such as decanters, openers, wine lists and refrigerators continuously and keep them well maintained to ensure proper functioning.
- To re-evaluate and restructure the wine list(s) to an award winning level for all major global publications.
- To develop and maintain the highest standard of quality as they relate to presentation, supervision and control of wine service in all outlets and excursions.
- To build and maintain a strong and efficient sales & support team within supervisors and employees.
- To create loyal and trustworthy staff who take pride in their work, thereby providing the highest level of service possible.
- To be constantly inspecting all outlets for clean, presentable and updated wine lists.
- To assist in preparing the annual wine sales plan and promotion matrix.
- To adhere to the rules & regulations of the Resort.
- To conduct wine inventories on a regular basis, together with the Cost Controller.
- Advise on slow moving items and recommend required action, where and when necessary.
- To review wine sales in all outlets on a regular basis.
- Schedule monthly staff training.
- To ensure that all the Food and Beverage Staff are fully aware of current and future house pours, new additions and estimated sales targets.
- To maintain communications with all other Resort’ departments.
- To create a sound and strong working relationship with all staff and help to develop their maximum potential.
- To keep the Resident Manager informed on all wines or additions of interest.
- Coordinate any activities, which involve other departments.
- Maintain professional FnB/ Sommellerie image, including FnB Areas/ Sommellerie cleanliness, proper uniforms, and appearance standards.
- Ensure positive guest service in all areas. Respond to complaints, taking any and all appropriate actions to turn dissatisfied guests into return guests.
- Inform management accordingly following the guest feedback, customer complaint policy
- Ensure a safe working and guest environment to reduce the risk of injury and accidents.
- Completes accident reports promptly in the event that a guest or employee is injured.
- Manage shifts which include: daily decision making, scheduling, planning while upholding standards, product quality and cleanliness.
- Investigate and resolve complaints concerning food/ beverage/ wine quality and service.
- Provide direction to employees regarding operational and procedural issues.
- Conduct departmental orientation, and oversee the training of new and existing employees.
- Develop employees by providing on-going feedback, establishing performance expectations and by conducting performance reviews.
- Always strive towards an exceptional customer experience
- Participates in technical training related to the Sommellerie. Assists in producing all relevant documents related to training matters.
- Ensures that team members behave as per the principle of our core values.
- Ensures that hotel discipline standards are adhered to at all time by Food and Beverage Team members.
- Ensures that the Food and Beverage Department is complying with the safety and security rules of the resort and the country. Ensures that all Food and Beverage team members are fully aware of fire safety procedures and evacuation routes.
- Ensures that a safe, hygienically fit working environment is maintained at all times and reports any concerns or faults immediately.
- Adhere to Occupational Safety and Health Act, local health and safety codes, and company safety and security policy
- Promote energy efficiency and environment friendly actions
- Participate in training as and when required by Management
- Report on management regarding sales results and productivity
- Maintains highest levels of personal hygiene and grooming at all times, as per standard.
- A minimum of 5 years experience in the hospitality industry in a similar position
- Experience in resolving customer issues/complaints as well as overall excellent customer service required
- Diploma in Hotel Management
- Computer Literate
- Team Player
- Having a flexible approach to work