Butterball LLC, one of America’s most iconic brands, helps consumers celebrate Thanksgiving, bringing delicious turkeys to tables around the world. We are a vertically integrated company, which simply means we start with our farms and end at our consumers’ table. Located in the thriving Raleigh-Durham, North Carolina area, our business model gives us the opportunity to provide a diverse array of career opportunities and paths which include our farms, processing facilities and support offices. At Butterball, we aim to provide great-tasting foods that inspire joyful experiences and bring people together.
Jump start your career with Butterball! The R&D / QA Intern Position is meant to provide an encompassing experience through a variety of projects that support our business within the Research & Development and Quality Assurance Departments. You will work with the R&D and QA teams in their current specifications cycle of improvement project. Specifically, you will work with the R&D and QA teams to
- Gain understanding of product production processes through production line tour and audit
- Work with the R&D team to convert audit information to an enhanced product production specification
- Execute a continuous improvement project (savings or operational efficiency) related to the production specification you have built
- Learn to design and execute a production test in the production environment.
- Review your test findings key internal stakeholders for approval
- If approved, to implement your project for full commercialization
The program’s primary objective is to grow future leaders by providing professional development and a series of assignments in their specific area of academic and professional interest.
What you will do:
- Projects- Challenging goals with metrics that impact our bottom line. Your goals will tie directly into department/plant objectives. Understanding how production specifications are built and executed for consistent product quality. Hands on experience with how production tests are designed, conducted and implemented in full scale production setting.
- Responsibilities- Gain valuable experience working cross functionally to drive meaningful savings / efficiency goals that directly impact the bottom line. Define the current process, effectively communicate critical to quality and process control elements via the production specification that consistently deliver target product quality. Design and execute a production test assessing potential for process / cost improvement
- Innovation- Seeking continuous improvements in operation processes and procedures.
What you already have (examples below, requirements of the position):
- Currently seeking a Bachelor of Science degree in Business, Poultry, Animal or Food Science or related field.
- Proficiency in math and background in statistics
- Experience in poultry/meat food manufacturing (preferred but not required)
- Background in agriculture or farming (preferred but not required)
- Has actively participated or held office in a campus or community organization (preferred but not required)
- Exposure to lean and or lean Six Sigma practices (preferred but not required)
- Bilingual English and Spanish (preferred but not required)
- This internship will be located mainly in the Garner Corporate office with travel to one of our North Carolina based facilities (up to 50% travel as needed).
Intern Program Benefits:
- Access to senior leadership
- Networking opportunities
- Sponsored events outside of work
- Professional development
Butterball, LLC is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to the fair and impartial treatment of all employees and applicants for employment without regard to gender, age, race, religion, color, national origin, physical or mental disability, military/veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, genetic information, marital status, parental status, pregnancy, or any other status protected by law.
Should you need assistance at any stage of the hiring process or would like to discuss potential accommodations related to applying for employment at Butterball, please contact us immediately. Your request for an accommodation will be kept confidential, will only be shared with individuals with a business need-to-know, and will not subject you to any adverse treatment.