Position: Grants and Partnership Manager
Location: Remote based until COVID19 crisis concludes. Afterwards, Gaziantep or Istanbul, Turkey
Reports to: Deputy Country Director
Duration: 6 months with opportunity for extension depending on availability of funding
Relief International (RI) specializes in relief and development programs that benefit people in acute distress. A registered non-profit in the US, UK, France and Belgium, our work targets those fragile countries or communities that suffer from recurrent man-made or natural crises that impede human development. The people that we serve live in 16 countries across Africa, Asia and the Middle East where the debilitating effects of political instability, forced displacement, and natural disasters are pervasive. Often, RI is the only organization providing healthcare, education, logistics, energy, capacity building, economic development, sanitation, and many other forms of assistance to these highly vulnerable communities.
Under the supervision of the Deputy Country Director (DCD) the Grants and Partnership Manager helps ensure compliance with donor requirements at all stages of the project life cycle and facilitates effective management of RI Turkey’s grants and partners in coordination with other departments (e.g. Programs, Technical Units, Finance, Operations). This includes, but is not limited to, ensuring timely and quality reporting to donors, facilitating grant opening and closeout processes, advising on donor rules and regulations, coordinating proposal development processes, and capacity building of staff and implementing partners.
Responsibilities and Tasks
Grants Management & Compliance
- Advise program teams, support departments, and implementing partners on donor rules and regulations (e.g. ECHO, BPRM) as well as RI’s internal requirements and actively promotes increased awareness of key compliance issues across the organization;
- Ensure the submission of high quality narrative reports to donors by reminding the program teams about upcoming deadlines and reviewing and editing reports in accordance with donor requirements and RI writing guide;
- Maintain up to date reporting schedule and ensure information sharing to all relevant staff within the mission so that reports are adequately anticipated;
- Organize and lead grant opening meetings with the participation of program and support departments to develop a common understanding of the programmatic, operational, and financial aspects of a new grant as well as knowledge of our contractual requirements;
- Organize and lead grant closing meetings to facilitate a timely closeout of a grant, support full expenditure of the budget, and ensure that all contractual obligations will be met (e.g. final report, asset disposal);
- Lead monthly grant review meetings with representation from all relevant departments to review progress towards programmatic and financial targets (including BvA review), facilitate collective problem-solving to avoid delays in program implementation, and allow for early identification of modification requests;
- Coordinate the preparation of modification requests for donors, including proposal revision, budget realignment, and other changes, in compliance with donor guidelines;
- Strengthen RI staff capacities (i.e. grants and program team) on report writing, donor compliance, etc.
- Liaise with the Middle East regional team on all grants management matters such as reviewing grant agreements, obtaining grant codes, requesting waivers and derogations, etc.;
- Maintain a comprehensive and up-to-date filing system on all aspects of grants management.
- Collaborate with relevant staff to identify partnerships opportunities with local and national civil society organizations, through regular stakeholder analysis process and networking with actors in Turkey;
- Oversee, facilitate and coordinate all aspects of partnership life cycle management, from stakeholder analysis, partner identification, due diligence, project development, agreement, start-up, implementation, monitoring through to close-out, coordinating effectively with all program, operations and finance components;
- Coordinate pre-award due diligence processes for all new partnerships, including through vetting, coordinating the pre-award assessment with other departments, analysis of risks associated with the award and the identification and implementation of appropriate measures to manage the risks, working with other departments as appropriate;
- Coordinate the organizational capacity assessments of all new partners using RI standard tools as per the partnership management framework;
- Support the development of sub-grant agreements and any subsequent modifications;
- Coordinate and ensure the effective startup of partnership, including sub-grants opening meetings and close out meetings with partners, programs, MEL, technical and other departments, as relevant.
- Support the development of a tailored capacity building plan for each partner (as needed) to address the gaps identified through due diligence and organizational capacity assessments and monitor the successful implementation of those plans;
- Conduct capacity building assessments and activities for partners, including training workshops and one-on-one mentoring of key staff on donor rules and regulations, report writing, and other areas as needed;
- Ensure and coordinate feedback process to partners with regards to the quality and performance of the partnership against the sub-award i.e. partnership scorecards;
- Maintain a comprehensive and up-to-date filing system on all aspects of sub-grants management;
- Improve partnership practices by periodically assessing RI Turkey’s partnership management approach taking into account diverse perspectives (both RI’s and partners’), developing case studies to capture lessons learned and best practices, and making recommendations for improvement.
- In collaboration with the RI Program Development team, support the Country Director (CD) and DCD in terms of donor intelligence by gathering and maintaining up to date a donor mapping and search for background information on key donors. This will take the form of a donor data base, briefing notes and any other relevant document;
- Monitor new call for proposals and thoroughly review the ones published, identifying risks and constraints for each one as well as RI’s eligibility and brief CD/DCD and other relevant staff accordingly;
- Coordinate proposal development processes in country, including reviewing and improving draft proposals and concept notes, acting as the lead writer for opportunities, and addressing feedback from the country management and regional team;
- Ensure that the entire proposal package adheres to donor guidelines and meets the selection criteria;
- Contribute to the development and implementation of the country fundraising strategy, including conducting donor mapping, researching donor priorities and interests, and identifying new funding opportunities;
- Build the capacity of RI staff on proposal development by sharing insights on how to produce winning proposals and conducting training donor specific guidelines and templates, etc.
Communication and Visibility
- Lead on ensuring collecting, collating and compiling communication material on RI Turkey to input into RI Middle East Intranet, RI external communication and Donors’ Reports or Communications requirements etc;
- Provide briefing papers and support the development of external communication tools relevant for donor visits/meetings;
- Oversee the development of a comprehensive country communication strategy to promote RI Turkey work;
- Ensure RI-Turkey visibility materials are aligned with internal and donor guidelines;
- Ensure coordination with donors’ communication focal points to coordinate visibility activities and obtain necessary approvals as needed.
- Supporting the CD and DCD in donor relations and other relevant stakeholders;
- Contribute to strategic planning exercises and other mission program exercises .
- Supervise the grants coordinator and communication and reporting officer, including day-to-day management, developing of work plans, training plans, regular staff appraisal and performance reviews.
- Facilitate regular meetings with staff to ensure regular information sharing
- In collaboration with the team members, identify individual training needs and ensure access to training and professional development resources appropriate to their skill gaps/needs.
- Capacitate team member to highest standards of Grants and Partnership management and eventually coach replacement at end of assignment
Qualifications & requirements
- Master's degree in a relevant field or equivalent experience;
- At least 5 years of progressive experience in grants management, partnership and proposal development in international relief or development programs, including field experience;
- Excellent writing skills in English at a native-speaker level and demonstrated ability to write and edit reports and proposals under tight deadlines;
- Strong knowledge of the rules and regulations of major institutional donors such as ECHO, European Commission, US Government donors (e.g. BPRM, USAID);
- Experience conducting capacity building activities and enthusiasm to share knowledge and information with others;
- Working knowledge of budget development and management;
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work effectively with colleagues in a multi-cultural setting;
- Ability to work independently, set priorities, and manage time efficiently;
- Demonstrated leadership and management skills, including ability to give effective feedback and to guide and mentor direct reports;
- Proficient in Microsoft Office.
- We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality and operational independence.
- We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities.
- We value
- Transparency and accountability
- Agility and innovation