Title: Global Assurance Manager
Department: Risk Management and Assurance
Location: Remote in the UK, occassional travel to the UK office. Expectation to visit RI country offices when Covid 19 travel restrictions allows to undertake audits or investagations
Reporting to: VP Risk and Global Assurance
Direct reports: Not Applicable
Budget responsibility: Not Applicable
ABOUT Relief International.
Relief International (RI) is a leading nonprofit organization working in 16 countries to relieve poverty, ensure well-being and advance dignity. We specialize in fragile settings, responding to natural disasters, humanitarian crises and chronic poverty.
Relief International combines humanitarian and development approaches to provide immediate services while laying the groundwork for long-term impact. Our signature approach — which we call the RI Way—emphasizes local participation, an integration of services, strategic partnerships and a focus on civic skills. In this way, we empower communities to find, design and implement the solutions that work best for them.
RI includes the four corporate members of the RI Alliance: RI-US, RI-UK, MRCA/RI-France and RI-Europe. Under our alliance agreement, we operate as a single, shared management structure.
RI is active in 16 countries around the world, including some of the most fragile: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon, Myanmar, Pakistan, Philippines, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, Syria, Turkey, and Yemen. Often, RI is the only organization providing assistance to highly vulnerable communities.
RI employs 7,000+ staff and auxiliary workers
97% of staff are local nationals
We only have some 90 ex-pat staff out of 7,000+
RI spent $150 million in 2019 on our programs
Often, RI is the only organization providing assistance to highly vulnerable communities.
RI invests in four broad program sectors: Economic Opportunity, Education, Health, and Water, Sanitation and Hygiene. We design our programs to incorporate The RI Way: local participation, integrated programming, the development of civic skills, and complementary partnerships including with local NGOs, governments, and the private sector. RI supports solutions that reinforce and improve upon existing in-country systems. Where such systems do not exist or are chronically underperforming, RI’s crisis response lays the foundation for long-term, sustainable change.
RI Global Assurance supports the management teams and the Board by evaluating, and providing an independent assurance on the adequacy and effectiveness of the organization’s governance, risk management, and the controls and oversight arrangements in place.
The Global Assurance Manager will confidently lead, or be part of a team, on delivering high quality internal audit assignments, reviews, investigations and other work assigned on time and within budget. He/she will also influence and facilitate change within Relief International by contributing to the exchange of knowledge and learning within the organisation. In addition, he/she will support the Global Assurance Director and the department in the development and implementation of Global Assurance and wider enterprise risk management improvement plans.
Key Responsibilities and Duties.
- Perform internal audits/ assurance work across the RI countries
- Deliver reports and completed working paper files, ensuring that professional and Global Assurance quality standards are met
- Undertake special assignments and investigations, in particular complex and high level investigations, and carry out special reviews e.g. in relation to new systems development, allegations of fraud and etc.
- Support the VP Risk Management and Assurance in preparing the annual risk-based audit plan and ongoing risk and assurance mapping
- Develop and implement workshops, capacity support and technical assistance to audit focal staff at country office level in technical areas
- Follow up audit recommendations to ensure timely implementation and action of corrective measures to mitigate identified risks and improve compliance with global policies and procedures
- Contribute effectively to the successful roll-out of enterprise-wide risk management
- Take a leading role in the development of new/amended audit processes and innovative ways of working
- Ensure prompt and professional responses and advice are provided to queries raised by management regarding internal control and risk management
- Collaborate with relevant departments to ensure efficient and effective resolution of issues relating to audits and investigations
- Deputise for the VP Risk Management and Assurance on matters relating to Global Assurance
- Undertake other initiatives and duties as requested by the VP Risk Management and Assurance.
Safeguarding and culture
- Uphold and promote RI’s commitment to ensuring the safeguarding and safety of the vulnerable communities we serve.
- Consistent with RI’s safeguarding and protection policies, ensure your job related activity and practice is compliant with safeguarding standards.
- You will ensure a positive and productive work environment which is free from harassment and bullying.
- Ability to demonstrate sensitivity and understanding of diversity and cultural differences, gender issues and the commitment to equal opportunities
Experience and skills required for the role.
- Membership of a professional accountancy or internal audit body (CA, ACA, ACCA, ACMA, CIPFA, CIA or equivalent)
- Significant audit experience (internal and/or external) or equivalent experience in relevant areas of Relief International’s work
- Demonstrated experience of undertaking and delivering effective internal audit assignments in accordance with recognised auditing standards
- Strong track record of understanding risk management and internal control procedures
- Proven experience in working with major donors (USAID/OFDA, ECHO, DFID, UN agencies). Demonstrated know-how of donor expectations and requirements across the grant cycle
- Established track record of delivering quality outcomes to tight deadlines and of balancing multiple commitments
- Proficient in producing high quality, effective oral and written communication in English for a wide range of audiences
- Strong interpersonal skills including a demonstrable ability to deliver difficult messages with tact, sensitivity and diplomacy, and with credibility to influence sustainable change with senior management
- Self-motivated, results focused, autonomous and able to work with minimal supervision
- Willing to undertake high amount of travel overseas (up to 60%) often in challenging conditions in some of the most underdeveloped, insecure and remote parts of the world
- Demonstrated knowledge of grant management, project management, and financial management
- Track record of managing USAID grants an advantage.
- Experience of working with people from diverse backgrounds, demonstrating respect for, and understanding of, cultural differences
- Experience of working in a complex international organisation and/or experience of working with Relief International
- A willingness to undertake continuing professional development and keep abreast of changes and developments as they impact upon the work of Relief International
- Proficiency and/or working knowledge of a second language, for example Arabic.
Guided by the humanitarian principles of humanity, neutrality, impartiality, and independence, as well as “Do No Harm,” Relief International Values:
How to apply.
- To apply for this post, click on the “Apply” button in the job advert page
- You will be asked to upload a CV and Cover Letter. The cover letter should be no more than 2 pages long and explain why you are interested in this post with Relief International and how your skills and experience make you a good fit.
Closing date. Please apply immediately we will be reviewing applicants on a rolling basis, therefore may withdraw the position for the job board closing date.
Please apply by uploading your cover letter and up-to-date CV on our website .
Due to limited resources, only short-listed candidates will be contacted
Relief International is committed to protecting our staff and the communities we work with from abuse and harm including sexual exploitation, sexual abuse and sexual harassment.
All staff are expected to abide by our Code of Conduct.
Recruitment to all roles in Relief International include a criminal records self-declaration, references, and other pre-employment checks, which may include police and qualifications checks.