Title: Global Financial Planning and Analysis Coordinator
Location: London UK or Washington DC
Or this job can be based remotely in a RI country of operation
Reporting to: Financial Planning and Analysis Director
Direct reports: Not Applicable
Budget responsibility: Not Applicable
ABOUT Relief International.
Relief International (RI) is a leading nonprofit organization working in 16 countries to relieve poverty, ensure well-being and advance dignity. We specialize in fragile settings, responding to natural disasters, humanitarian crises and chronic poverty.
Relief International combines humanitarian and development approaches to provide immediate services while laying the groundwork for long-term impact. Our signature approach — which we call the RI Way—emphasizes local participation, an integration of services, strategic partnerships and a focus on civic skills. In this way, we empower communities to find, design and implement the solutions that work best for them.
RI includes the four corporate members of the RI Alliance: RI-US, RI-UK, MRCA/RI-France and RI-Europe. Under our alliance agreement, we operate as a single, shared management structure.
About our Country Program/ Regional Programs .
RI is active in 16 countries around the world, including some of the most fragile: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon, Myanmar, Pakistan, Philippines, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, Syria, Turkey, and Yemen. Often, RI is the only organization providing assistance to highly vulnerable communities.
RI employs 7,000+ staff and auxiliary workers
97% of staff are local nationals
We only have some 90 ex-pat staff out of 7,000+
RI spent $150 million in 2019 on our programs
Often, RI is the only organization providing assistance to highly vulnerable communities.
RI invests in four broad program sectors: Economic Opportunity, Education, Health, and Water, Sanitation and Hygiene. We design our programs to incorporate The RI Way: local participation, integrated programming, the development of civic skills, and complementary partnerships including with local NGOs, governments, and the private sector. RI supports solutions that reinforce and improve upon existing in-country systems. Where such systems do not exist or are chronically underperforming, RI’s crisis response lays the foundation for long-term, sustainable change.
Financial Planning and Analysis (FP&A) unit has the overall responsibility for the financial planning and reporting service supporting the growth and effective management of Relief International and its various business units.
The FP&A coordinator works with Director of FP&A to support the global finance team by providing leadership and coordination in the accounting, reporting and compliance efforts of Relief International.
Essential Responsibilities and Duties.
Income & Expenditure Reporting and Budgeting
- Preparing and maintaining budget models and forecasts;
- Reviewing project spend down plans to ensure accuracy of the projections;
- Reviewing Proposal budgets, ensuring compliance with RI common cost allocation policy and donor regulations;
- Preparing pipeline analysis based on data provided by Program development team;
- Reviewing Global department BVA details and ensure correct allocations;
- Reviewing transaction listing at month end closing to check the compliance of allocations; based on Relief international accounting guidelines.
Financial Analysis and Management Reports
- Supporting the director of FP&A in standardizing and automating Budget Variance Analysis; models at Country, Regional and Global levels;
- Supporting the director of FP&A in global monthly portfolio and project risk management reports;
- Supporting the director of FP&A in standardizing and automating country master budgets;
- Analyzing financial and operational results to better understand business unit performance;
- Preparing project Exchange gain loss analysis and other Global summaries;
- Assisting the director of FP&A in standardizing project set ups in NetSuite and ensuring accuracy of data based on donor contracts;
- Support the implementation of Financial reporting software of Relief International;
- Other Financial Analysis and Management tasks as assigned by the FP&A Director.
- Drafting policies, processes and forms for Global department costs;
- Manage or perform periodical or ad hoc financial data analysis, queries, reconciliations and reports as needed by the Senior Management team or to satisfy external audit requests;
- Support initiatives targeted at financial processes improvement and the implementation of changes to achieve efficiencies and RI objectives in the areas of program billing, contract compliance and reporting, indirect cost recovery, financial reporting and analysis;
Other related tasks that may from time to time
- Uphold and promote RI’s commitment to ensuring the safeguarding and safety of the vulnerable communities we serve.
- Consistent with RI’s safeguarding and protection policies, ensure that all HR activity and practice is compliant with safeguarding standards.
Experience and qualifications required for the role.
- Progressive finance and accounting experience with proven success with an INGO context;
- Financial and accounting education background, CPA, ACCA and/or MBA preferred;
- Solid understanding and knowledge of US GAAP/IFRS, Good understanding of UK GAAP
- Experience working with international donors such as USG, FCDO (previously DFID) and the EU;
- Solid experience of financial planning and analysis in an INGO of comparable size and complexity to RI; must have INGO finance/accounting experience; preferably some field experience;
- Knowledge of accounting and reporting software; Experience with NetSuite and QuickBooks is favorable.
Skills and competencies
- Keen analytic, organization, and problem-solving skills, which allows for strategic data interpretation vs. simple reporting;
- Ability and desire to translate complex financial concepts to individuals at all levels including finance and non-finance managers;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; experience in effectively communicating key data, including presentations to all levels of staff;
- High proficiency in MS Excel (eg formulas, pivot tables and graph production), MS Word and PowerPoint, proficiency in Power BI preferred;
- Ability to travel domestically or overseas as required by direct supervisor;
Guided by the humanitarian principles of humanity, neutrality, impartiality, and independence, as well as “Do No Harm,” Relief International Values:
How to apply.
- To apply for this post, click on the “Apply” button in the job advert page
- You will be asked to upload a CV and Cover Letter. The cover letter should be no more than 2 pages long and explain why you are interested in this post with Relief International and how your skills and experience make you a good fit.
Closing date. Please apply immediately we will be reviewing applicants on a rolling basis, therefore may withdraw the position for the job board closing date.
Please apply by uploading your cover letter and up-to-date CV on our website .
Due to limited resources, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Note to external agencies, we will not be accepting CVs from third parties.
Relief International is committed to protecting our staff and the communities we work with from abuse and harm including sexual exploitation, sexual abuse and sexual harassment.
All staff are expected to abide by our Code of Conduct.
Recruitment to all roles in Relief International include a criminal records self-declaration, references and other pre-employment checks, which may include police and qualifications checks.