FSG is a mission-driven consulting firm that advises foundations and corporations interested in creating large-scale, lasting social change. At FSG, our people are our most valuable asset. We recognize that hiring and retaining talented and engaged individuals is vital to the ongoing success of our firm and the change we hope to ignite and support in the world. Learn more about FSG here.
Staffing Manager (Boston, San Francisco, Seattle, or Washington, D.C.)
The Staffing Manager will lead the staffing process, elevate people issues, identify capacity concerns, and partner with other members of the People team to coordinate and align our efforts. As a member of the People team, the Staffing Manager will incorporate diversity, equity, and inclusion principles into all aspects of our talent strategy. This role will report to Marcia LoMonaco, Head of People.
- Partner with firm’s leadership and staff to optimize staffing assignments for client projects as well as internal projects
- Partner with firm leadership to understand needs for cases/projects and make recommendations based on staff availability, skill set, and professional development goals
- Work with consulting staff individually to understand professional goals
- Manage communication of staffing decisions to staff and firm leadership
- Handle difficult and/or unique employee situations (e.g., staffing restrictions based on personal moral compass, complex personal situations) with a high degree of empathy and professionalism, in keeping with FSG’s values
- Identify and raise issues around staff capacity, professional development, team dynamics, and/or individual concerns
- Understand and track sales projections to inform broader human capital capacity/resource allocation decisions
- Proactively identify and raise issues around limited and/or excess staff capacity
- Collaborate with members of the People team to address and resolve staff interpersonal, personal, and/or professional development needs
- Manage staffing system, including all data and reporting
- Maintain system for tracking all current staffing assignments
- Maintain a clear view into staffing capacity, both as a point in time and also over a period of time; identify overarching trends and thought-partner with firm leadership to understand strategic implications
- Provide capacity insights and staffing trends to the to inform hiring targets
- Maintain Enterprise Resource Planning (NetSuite) system as related to staffing
- Support other People Team projects as applicable
- Partner with other People team members to address overall needs of the firm; assignments may include recruiting pipeline support and employee engagement, recognition, and retention efforts.
- 4-6 years of experience in roles with progressive responsibility, as either a member of the consulting team and/or human capital team; experience with staffing/resource allocation in a professional services setting is a strong plus
- Experience leading in a multi-stakeholder environment and effectively navigating decisions that involve competing priorities
- Experience considering and applying equity and inclusion principles in design or execution of human capital strategies
- Proven ability to work collaboratively in a team environment where sharing insights and knowledge to drive impact is expected and celebrated
In addition, the candidate will have experience in:
- Empathetic communication approaches, conveying emotional intelligence that balances the analytical and personal nature of decisions about people
- Commitment to maintaining a high level of confidentiality, discretion, and sensitivity regarding employee information
- Project management, including anticipating problems in advance while balancing multiple priorities with ease
- Strategic thinking: keeping the big picture in mind while delivering on the details
- Comfort working in a fast-paced, results-oriented environment; ability to work independently as well as collaboratively
- Passion for FSG’s mission to create large-scale, lasting social change; knowledge of the social sector preferred
This is a full-time position based in FSG’s Seattle, Boston, San Francisco, or Washington D.C. office*. At this time, the salary range for this role is $65,000-$75,000. Salaries are set according to an explicit compensation policy, and relevant market data is analyzed when setting salaries for each role. We also offer a generous benefits package including: health insurance with 100% of premiums covered by FSG, 3 weeks paid vacation, a 401(k) retirement plan with employer match, cell phone stipend, disability and life insurance, and more. Note: Visa sponsorship is not available for our U.S. offices. In addition, we are unable to support the OPT Training Visa, as this visa will eventually require sponsorship.
*FSG’s US offices are currently closed due to the COVID-19 Pandemic. Employees are working virtually and no travel is expected through at least the remainder of 2020. We will continue to monitor the situation with the health and safety of our staff at the forefront. FSG is offering a variety of technological and well-being resources to support our people as we navigate our current environment together.
Please follow the prompts below to submit a cover letter and your resume. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Equal Opportunity Employer
As an equal opportunity employer, we value diversity, equity, and inclusion. We are committed to equal employment and promotion opportunity regardless of age, disability, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.